Friday, September 02, 2005

You Might Find...You Get What You Need

I've never been a fan of the Rolling Stones. I think Mick Jagger belongs in some sort of rehab clinic along with Keith Richards. That isn't the point of this blog, thank goodness.

They have a song that contains the lyrics, "you can't always get what you want...but sometimes...you get what you need."

As I went through my young adult years, I believed that, even if I didn't like it. However, I still had trouble accepting it, because so many times I got exactly what I didn't need, even if it was usually my own fault. Now, however, I have seen this happen too many times to ignore it.

As an example, once (several years ago) I didn't get a job I was applying for. I felt angry...upset...etc. However, shortly after that, my current job came through with a raise. If I had been offered the other job, I would have paid more for insurance, had fewer days off, and, it turns out, gotten less money. You just never know how these things will work.

Yesterday it happened again. I was up for a position that I didn't get. But this time, I remembered past lessons. As I analyzed my situation, I realized that this was for the best. I have a lot on my plate right now between homework, family responsibilities and other responsibilities. A six month wait is actually what's best right now.

Funny how these things work Once you look at things calmly and from a more detached viewpoint. The problem arises when your emotions get in the way and you take offense at a perceived slight.

Guess that's all part of being an adult, eh?

No comments: