Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Why is everything a "phobia" now?

As I was reading the "Scene" section in the local newspaper, I noticed what is becoming an all-too-common accusation. Because the film Brokeback Mountain did not win the Oscar, some were accusing the Academy members of being "homophobes". Basically, the term has come to mean anyone who doesn't approve of homosexuality. But what is a phobia, really? One online dictionary describes it as:

an anxiety disorder characterized by extreme and irrational fear of simple things or social situations

OK...with that definition in hand, can the members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences really be called "homophobes"? For that matter, can anyone who doesn't approve of homosexuality be called "phobic"? I don't see these people running in abject terror from anyone who is openly gay. Nor do they see psychiatrists in order to conquer this phobia. Let's face a simple fact: the word homophobia is being used as an attack word to group anyone who doesn't agree with such a lifestyle into one negative gang.

Now, let's be realistic and discern if I can be called a homophobe. I am a firm believer in what the Bible says about homosexuality. In both the Hebrew and Greek Scriptures, homosexuality is not tolerated. God does not approve of those kinds of sexual appetites. Thus, as a Bible student and believer, I agree that homosexuality is not acceptable. When I see an openly gay person on the street, however, I don't break out in a cold sweat and run like a crazed rabbit in the opposite direction! Nor do I treat homosexuals as though they have the plague. No, I don't condone their choices or behavior, but I am not afraid of gay people, nor am I hostile towards them. Yet by the standards of those who love labels and are so quick to go on the defensive, I would be called a homophobe.

Isn't this just another way to attack anyone who doesn't agree with someone's lifestyle or choices? I have the right to my opinions about various subjects. I can be opposed to political matters. If I am opposed to politics, do I become a "politiphobe"? I am opposed to murder. Am I now a "killophobe"? If the gay community doesn't like the fact that I disapprove of their lifestyle, they have the right to say so. They cannot, however, force their opinions on me and they should not group me in the same category as those who feel that homosexuals should be physically injured or those that feel that they shouldn't be seen or heard.

Let's get rid of the "phobe" suffix, folks. There are too many people who truly suffer from phobias to minimize the psychological condition by labelling opinions as phobias. If you don't like my opinion towards gays, you are free to discuss it with me. You may even imply that I am closed-minded (which I am not) or very religious (which I am). But don't use "homophobia" as a grouping for all of the people who do not approve of the practice. The film didn't win because the film didn't win.
Period.
Deal with it.
Or are you an "Academyphobe"?

No comments: