Friday, April 22, 2011

The Doctor Is In

I used to be a television addict. When I was young, you couldn't drag me away from television. But now, as I look back at what I used to watch, I shudder in shame. Certain shows just don't hold up with time. (See: animated series from the 80s.) However, some hold up quite well. Go back and watch some episodes of Night Court, Barney Miller, and the Benny Hill Show (a guilty pleasure, but he was an absolute genius with wordplay...even if you think the ladies in scanty clothing was sexist.)

So what do I think of television today? There is still some good stuff on, but I tend to be more selective. I don't watch much, even though from time to time I will look in on a series. Here is a list of some of the shows that I think are good, or even great:
NCIS (both series)
Castle
Mythbusters
Leverage
Eureka
Psych
Top Gear (Absolutely the show I can watch over and over again!)

And leading the pack for over 40 years on the air: Doctor Who.

I know, I'm a geek, right? Well, hear me out.

Doctor Who has been on the air a long time, with props and costumes ranging from the cheap to the silly in the old days of Tom Baker. Special effects have improved dramatically with the newest incarnation of the series, but two things have remained consistent throughout the run of the show: the writing and the Doctor.

The writing has been imaginative, clever, and thought-provoking. It never shies from staring down the bad in humanity, while still expressing hope for what can be good. It also takes us to worlds and times beyond imagining and throws in humor to boot. I love the work that has been done on this series. (Want a great episode? Look for "Blink". You'll never look at a statue the same way ever again!)

But despite the age of the series, it remains fresh thanks to the men who have played the title role throughout the years. In a bit of forethought that remains unrivaled in television, the writers of the early series thought that when the time came for a lead actor to leave the series, the series didn't need to end or even have a new actor try to play the role in the same way. Instead, the Doctor would regenerate, having the same memories but a different face and personality. So, we could have Tom Baker followed by Peter Davison and believe that either one is the Doctor.

Moving to our day, when David Tennant decided to leave the series, many thought it might be the end. Next to Tom Baker, Tennant was probably the most popular Doctor ever. The powers-that-be had the gall to choose the youngest man to ever play the role, Matt Smith. He is young, thin, rather goofy looking...and a fantastic choice to play the Doctor (Geronimo!)

If you have never watched the series, and want to understand it, it's fine to start with Christopher Eccleston (the first man to play the Doctor in the new series) and go from there. If you can get past your pre-conceived notions of what the show is, I'm sure that you will find it to be one of the best things on your television.

For me...my television viewing re-starts on Saturday, April 23, as the Doctor's TARDIS materializes in my television on BBC America. Allons-y!

1 comment:

Angelina Fishy said...

You know, Josy commented the other day on how our minds are similarly twisted. I have to agree, as we even watch several of the same tv shows. Five of the eight you listed are faves of mine (Castle being at the top), and one I watch from time to time. Too funny. And you are a geek.