Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Funny Stuff, and Another Annoyed Eureka Fan

There's nothing out there in the movies that stirs within me the desire to go out, fight the crowds, buy a ticket, and fight through the retching that comes with seeing some of the terrible films out there today. Thus, I turn to television and Netflix to provide me with light entertainment. I would like to touch on a few programs that have filled me with either a) whimsy and happiness, b) "meh", c) "blah", or d) sadness.

Let's start with one that produces some laughs, and that is the British series "The Thin Blue Line" starring Rowan Atkinson. A bit risque' at times (as much of British tv can be), but for those who only know Mr. Atkinson as Mr. Bean, it is well worth watching. He is the star, but the rest of the cast definitely adds to the show. It is well worth your time, as is the BlackAdder series.

Next, a "meh" goes to "Alphas". I really couldn't get into the series. I felt as though I was watching a dysfunctional mix of "Heroes" and "The A-Team". Sorry SyFy, but you didn't capture me with this one.

Here's a "blah" for you. It's a show that tries to pick up where M*A*S*H left off, but without the comedy, character development, or plot that makes it worth watching. It is called "Combat Hospital". My son likes it, but I've seen it a few times and I have to say that I would rather watch Alan Alda's later years in his series where he got all preachy. No...I didn't like those either, but that's the point.

Here comes the sad part. It has just been announced that the fantastic Eureka is being cancelled by SyFy. They say it is too expensive, but will allow the show to finish its fifth season and have a concluding episode. Once again, the station that used to be SciFi network has moved away from its initial demographic and chooses so-called reality programs and idiot tv instead of good, interesting, and imaginative plotlines, dialogue, and great acting. I tweeted one of the V-Ps of programming for USA Network - where the majority of excellent programs can be found these days - and asked him the chances of his network picking up the show. His response? Since both networks are owned by the same company, it isn't going to happen. Pity. It would have been great alongside Psych and Burn Notice. Eureka has been nothing short of excellent, and the actors, especially Colin Ferguson, have been top-notch. So, a big "bleah" to SyFy, who has canceled the only show I watch on their formerly good network, and a fond farewell to Eureka. Here's hoping that Colin Ferguson lands on his feet and gets another series that spotlights his enjoyable personality and talent.

One more thing...Top Gear and Doctor Who come back soon. Yay BBC America!

3 comments:

Angelina Fishy said...

Nooooooooo! Not Eureka! Aw man, that really, really, REALLY STINKS!!! I think we need to start a campaign (a la Chuck), and save it. Can't SyFy throw some of the bucks they make off the stupid WWE (seriously, still can't believe that's on there) and save the hands-down best show they have on there?

Angelina Fishy said...

Nevermind about the campaign. There are multiple 'Save Eureka' pages already. SyFy is going to get a 'feedback' email from me tomorrow, as well. They promised season 6. I say we hold them to it!

Asia said...

I just started watching Eureka. I have a real talent for supporting shows once it's too late.