Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Human Tragedy vs. Gas Prices

As I look at the latest pics from the South, I feel ridiculous worrying about gas hitting $4 a gallon. These folks have no cars to PUT gas into! They have no homes to return to and in some cases, they have lost family and friends. Four bucks a gallon? Big deal. I'll walk.

As for looters? Shame on you. In the midst of one of the biggest natural disasters this country has seen, you're stealing computers from Wal-Mart? I even read of a woman who had a bunch of laundry detergent she was stealing...and she doesn't even have a washing machine anymore. Tell me that human beings are growing closer to perfection due to evolution. Hah! I laugh in your face! This is just further proof that mankind is growing ever more imperfect as time goes by. Why aren't these looters spending their time trying to help their neighbor instead of stealing from their neighborhood? Why? Because they are interested in themselves, and noone else.

Perhaps that is one of the most glaring tragedies of all. In the face of heroic rescue efforts and people donating time and money to help those affected by this storm, there are still those people out there who show us the worst face of human beings.

I'll pay the $4 a gallon....and pray that we get our rain in manageable doses.

No comments: