Thursday, October 27, 2005

Registering for Spring

As I sit here waiting for my college registration hour to arrive, I find myself wishing that certain degrees carried a bit more import with employers. For example, if a person gets an Associates' Degree in Design Drafting, he or she could probably get an entry-level or slightly higher level job as a drafter with an engineering firm. That makes sense. That's what they went to school to learn. But what about those who find enjoyment in a more liberal arts-type education? There are certainly Associates' Degrees available in the Liberal Arts field. But it is noted in my college catalog that this degree is for those who are seeking their Bachelor's Degree in the same field. The AA degree does absolutely nothing to make a person marketable. He can't teach with an AA degree. There are very few employers who list the ability to analyze Shakespeare as a job requirement. And so, the student proceeds to a university to get a four-year degree in liberal arts. That degree qualifies the student...to get a certificate. Then, with that certificate, the student can...teach liberal arts.

Are you starting to see a pattern? Our society has become so oriented towards profits and business and technology that we are losing an appreciation for a part of our human experience that makes us well-rounded. Students are forced to take classes in majors which don't interest them because the classes that do interest them won't get them a job. Can you tell where I'm going with this? Here I am, looking at the list of Associates' Degrees available from my local Community College, and there isn't a single one of them that I want to pursue. Oh sure, I would like to go for liberal arts, but to what end? What good would it do me? Yes, I would probably enjoy the classes and gain an appreciation for a wide range of subjects. Let me just take my degree and fill out my application for McDonalds, thank you very much. This goes back to my previous rant on teachers and requirements, as well. Just in case you didn't catch that.

So I sit here, wondering what I will do. To tell the truth, I just don't know. All that I am sure about is that I am going to take my French classes so I can have the benefit of learning another language. At least that will do me some good in my daily life. (Don't ask...it's a long story.) But after that? What's the point of continuing my college? I'm already in a job that I hate. Should I get a degree to work in another job that I'll hate? No...that would be a waste. I think I'll just stick with French and writing and see if I can parlay that into something better. If not, well... would you like frites with your burger?

No comments: