Thursday, November 24, 2005

Giving Thanks...

Here it is, the day that the world calls "Thanksgiving". All in all, however, is it really necessary to have such a holiday? One day a year for giving thanks seems almost hypocritical if one believes in God. Why? In the Bible, we are reminded over and over about the importance of giving thanks. It is not meant to be something done once a year, but regularly; daily; often. A family I know is not religious. The woman of the house thinks she believes in God, but does not practice any form of religion. Yet, on Thanksgiving, their family prays before dinner. Once a year, they pray. Is that really giving thanks?

People ask me if I celebrate Thanksgiving. My reply is, invariably, that every day is thanksgiving for me. I don't have a large turkey dinner, watch football, or have friends and family over. Football and turkey is done occasionally, but friends and family are gathered many times a year; not just once. Every day is thanksgiving because every day I think about the blessings that my family and I have received and I give thanks several times a day. How can any living being who believes in God do any less?

In reality, all Thanksgiving has become is a day for gorging (an act expressly frowned upon in the Scriptures), for arguing with family members, and for perusing the ads for "Black Friday" so that people can pay homage to the gods that they truly worship: the almighty dollar and the god of materialism.

Sorry for my negativity, but facts are facts. Now excuse me, while I go read a bit and prepare to avoid every single department and toy store there is tomorrow.

No comments: