Monday, November 21, 2005

Random Rant on Art

I'm in the process of reading a book for my English class entitled "Beloved" by Toni Morrison. I don't want to insult anyone who loves this book, especially since it was made into a movie and won a Pulitzer Prize. However, I'm finding it very difficult to enjoy this book. Subject matter aside, the writing style of this author feels disjointed and difficult to follow. In fact, I just get tired reading it.

So what's my point? My point is that the art illuminati seem to feel that anything that is different is good. Some of the modern art that I've seen looks as though the artist shoved paint up his nose and sneezed onto the canvas. But since it is different, it is "magnificent, unique, innovative", etc., etc., etc. Sorry, folks. That isn't art. Don't tell me that a splash of paint on canvas compares to a Monet. I'm not buying. That's why I'm ranting about writing styles. Just because something is strange and disjointed doesn't make it deep or artistic. Frankly, I find more enjoyment delving into a book when I can be drawn along with the story, not when I have to fight like a salmon swimming upstream...and then at the end of the stream is a bear.

I'm sure that Toni Morrison's book is moving, touching, emotional, and deep. The subject matter is tense and harsh. But I don't need someone telling me how there is significance here and symbolism there. I don't mind working to see an author's point. I just don't want to have the feeling that I went on the "teacup ride" at Disneyland and someone spun the thing too fast. I want to get the point. I want to feel what the author is trying to make me feel. If the subject is harsh, I want to feel the harshness of it all. But I don't want someone telling me that a writing style is magnificent just because it is different.

Different is good, but paint from someone's nose is just colorful mucous.

No comments: