Wednesday, July 12, 2006

OK...So Nobody is Perfect

Well, as you probably have read over and over again, Italy won the Cup. Yes, I confess, I had the wrong score. And yet, I take some small comfort in thinking how close to being correct I really was! It could have easily been 2 - 1 France. But a salute to Italy for their victory.

I can't close this without commenting on the Zidane situation briefly. I'm not sure at this time what was said to Zidane to cause him to explode the way that he did. It couldn't have been just harmless banter, however. Despite what Materazzi of Italy claims, there is no doubt that he DOES know what a terrorist is (give me a break...does he think that anyone believes him that he doesn't know???), and he wouldn't be one to avoid insulting another player in any way possible if it could win his team the Cup. And Zidane wouldn't have gone off, possibly costing his team the cup and himself his reputation, unless Materazzi said something so heinous to Zidane that he couldn't let it go.

Zidane's mother has been sick. If Materazzi had insulted Zizou's mother and sister, then it would explain the outburst. Nonetheless, it doesn't excuse the outburst. Zidane is a pro, who has been penalized for just such an attack in the past. Did he really think he wouldn't get penalized in the World Cup? Maybe the answer was that in the heat of the moment, he just wasn't thinking at all. And because of that, France may have missed out on a golden opportunity to send Zizou out as a hero, with a second star on their uniform.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really agree with you. I bet he wasn´t thinking at all when he acted like that.