Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Drought v. Riding

OK...I'm torn. I know we need the rain, and we've been getting a good soaking lately. But I really want to be riding my new motorcycle. I think that makes me a selfish person in a way. Far more people are affected by the water shortage than are affected by my needing to hitch a ride with my wife to work. But still....

Well, I guess I can wait to ride. Our city has announced that they want everyone to cut their water usage by 20%. If that doesn't worry people, it should. Many people let showers and sinks run and run without thinking about how much water they use. Or, they water their lawns until the precious liquid flows down the sidewalks and into the storm drains. It's funny, but when I stop to think of how much water I waste, I think that I do pretty well compared to some in the savings department. But still, I see that fresh water going down the drain and wonder if I can't do more.

Next stop: the local Home Depot / Lowe's for a couple of new showerheads to reduce that water usage. (Along with an egg timer for my son's bathroom to keep him on schedule!)

I guess I can wait to ride. Keep the rain coming.

No comments: