Wednesday, March 03, 2010

A Treasure Hunt

It's been a couple of months now, and my search continues. Yes, I'm talking about my search for my ancestry. Using a website called Ancestry.com, I have put together the beginnings of a family tree for one side of my biological family.

It's been a hunt for my identity in many ways. As I was growing up, I was told I was adopted. But I was also told that I was of this heritage and that heritage, but nothing was definite. So, what have I discovered? Congratulate me. I'm a mutt. Seriously. I have traced the one side of the tree from Utah to Canada to New Jersey to England, to Ireland, and to Scotland. I have discovered Pringles, Durwards, and Garrigans. But when it comes down to it, what have I discovered about myself? I mean, besides being a mutt.

I have discovered that as I look at the different names and places, I get a feeling for certain sections of the tree. I am particularly drawn to Scotland and Ireland. I don't know why. Perhaps it is a calling that God has put inside us to find out where we are from. Anyone who takes a look at the Hebrew Scriptures knows how important genealogy was in the Bible. But I think that certain traits and characteristics, certain likes and dislikes, certain desires and longings have always drawn me to those two lands. I look at the other places, including one line that goes through France, and don't feel the call as strongly.

I can't say that it has been worth the time, money, and effort that it has taken to find out these things. But then again...

1 comment:

Angelina Fishy said...

I have lots of Irish and some Scottish in my background too. Wouldn't it be a funny coincidence if we were related way far back?

It's nice that you're able to find out these things now. I have an aunt who traced our family back quite a ways. It was interesting to see and know.