Saturday, March 27, 2010

Where Does the Time Go?

Ok, I admit it. I'm a bad little blogger. I don't post regularly, I procrastinate, and I'm not very interesting. So sue me. Still, between the French Congregation and my new hobby, I'm quite busy.

New hobby? Yes indeed. By my previous posts, you can probably guess where this is headed. I've been completely immersed in genealogy. Now that I know who my biological mother is, I have been able to trace hundreds of people in that side of the family tree. As I learn more, I want to know more. I've gone mental over this. I have even been watching the series "Who Do You Think You Are?" In this series, famous people use the website and experts to help them to find out something about their past that they didn't know before. It's amazing.

I think that the desire to trace our lineage goes back past ancient Israel. The Bible uses very precise genealogy to trace Jesus' lineage back past the time of David. It was important to them because inheritance depended on knowing your lineage. It was also important for the determination of the Messiah, but that's another matter. Nonetheless, I think that we have this basic need within us, and the discovery of my biological mother has aroused this curiosity in me. But now I realize that I'm stuck. No, I still have lines to trace on my mother's side. That's still available to me. But I also recognize that not only may I never discover my biological father, the information that I have hints that he, too, was adopted. If so, and he has no history of his biological family, then my search on that side ends. Unless... Unless I at least use DNA testing to see where the paternal line comes from. That's a possibility, but I find it less satisfying. Still, it helps to see where I'm from.

You might ask what is the most exciting thing I have found so far. Well, it isn't that I'm related to a king or queen, that's for sure. I guess the most exciting thing is that I have strong links to Scotland and Ireland. I have always had an affinity for those areas, and now I have a hint as to why this is so. Believe what you wish about ties to a land, and I'm not sure that I believe it, but I do feel a link there, and I always have. As I go deeper, I hope to understand more and to find a connection. Until then, please bear with me.

No comments: