Friday, December 10, 2010

Long Time, No See

Okay. I admit it. I got lost. Somewhere between recovering from injury and learning French and taking care of everyday mundane matters I forgot that I had a blog.

I do that a lot.

Still, it isn't all bad. Very few people read this blog, and those who do haven't said anything. Until today. Until I got a frowny face with a tear from Asiavou. (Sorry, Asia.)

So where do I go from here? I think I'll try to get back into this over the next few weeks, with new observations about culture shock, cultural differences, and a variety of experiences. One of the newest experiences will be that of raising pets again. No, not children...pets.

My wife and I have gone ahead and arranged to be adopted by, not one, but two kittens. They are about 5 months old and were rescued by an organization called Itsie Bitsie Rescue. We will pick them up at the end of the month, but have already met, and fallen in love with them. I'll give you a brief description in today's blog.

The kitten that caught my eye was a beautiful little orange tabby. He was named Cheeto at the time, but we have decided he will be called Jezza (a salute to Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear). This kitten's markings were so unusual that I had to adopt him. He has a circle on either side of his body, with stripes around them, and three racing stripes down his back. He is a purr-machine and seems to think that he is part parrot, as he loves sitting on shoulders. Why? I don't know. He's a charmer, though, and we can't wait to have him running roughshod over our house.

We were worried about Jezza being lonely, though. So we asked if he had a best friend at the rescue organization. They gave us an enthusiastic "yes" response, and with that we met a cute little white male kitten with a dark gray mask and "cape". The name "Stig" was a natural. He is much calmer, and is a bit hesitant around people, but he was very glad to be held and is best buddies with Jezza. The "foster parent" was worried that Jezza was a bully to Stig, until she watched them interact for awhile. When Jezza would playfully attack Stig, Stig would wait until a bit later when Jezza wasn't looking, and then...revenge! (Best served cold, eh?)

Anyway, we are hooked on these two kittehs (the lolcat word for kittens) and can't wait to get them home. It should be fun, and it will certainly create some experiences to blog about. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Angelina Fishy said...

I believe I bugged you about your blog a while back, and again fairly recently, so it wasn't just Asia missing it. However, I know how crazy things have been in the Himmel house, so I kept my pestering to the bare minimum. I can start being more persistent again, if you'd like... };-)

I can't wait to meet the kittehs! I loooove cats, and would have another one in a heartbeat if it wouldn't cost me an arm & a leg, plus keep several friends from ever visiting again. But I'll happily come play with your kittehs as often as you'll have me. :-)