Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Home Ownership

I spoke with a co-worker today who is about to close escrow on his first home. He got married about 9 months ago, and he and his bride are getting ready to move into a nice new house. How cool is that?

I didn't get into a house quite that quickly. It took me until age 44 to move into the first home that I (and the bank) own. At that point, I had been married 13 years! Still, here I am, and I decided that this would be a good time to write down some impressions as I near my first year in this house.

1) 1273 square feet is just right for us. My friend's house is going to be around 2000 square feet, and he's jazzed about it. I can understand that. Americans like homes with room. For us, the smaller house is perfect. Not too big, and not too small. It feels cozy, like a French home, and we were able to decorate it that way. It helps if you've got a good floor plan, and we do. The open kitchen-dining room-living room setup is great, and fine for entertaining. I was worried that this place would be too small, but it isn't.

2) I hate cockroaches. One would think that in a new home, cockroaches wouldn't be a problem But, after about 4 months, the little gross-puppies started to appear. I was introduced to another aspect of home ownership: the exterminator. (Bleccchh....I HATE bugs!)

3) My wife can paint. It was her first try at painting walls, and as I look at the job that she did, I'm still impressed. She did an absolutely fantastic job, and saved us a packet!

4) I didn't, and don't, want a yard. The area out back was looking like the Kalahari Desert, but I didn't want any grass to mow or leaves to rake. The solution? We have pavers and gravel out back now, and it all looks like a little piece of Italy. All we need are some raised planters, some patio tables, and we're set. And NO mowing! (The HOA takes care of the front yard.)

5) I like having a garage. It's nice to be able to park in our own garage. One problem: we have to clear out some of the junk we stored there. We moved things over from our apartment that we thought we would need, and we haven't touched it. Time to trash it.

6) It's a safe place. No real crime. Unless you count the dead guy who was found stabbed in his house down the street. In his bedroom. And no word from the cops on their investigation. Never mind.

I thought it would take me a long time to get used to living in my own house. Turns out, it didn't. Of course, it helps that my wife and I chose all of the decor and made it our own. I guess that's one piece of advice I would give others. Don't overcrowd your place, don't over-decorate, and make your home a comfortable place that makes you happy.

(Wow. Not deep at all. Oh well. They can't all be gems, can they?)

No comments: