Saturday, August 22, 2009

Newspapers

As I was reading my morning paper, I stopped to think about the problems that the industry is facing. The internet is, of course, the biggest threat to newspapers. As people read the postings of bloggers and people like Drudge, they begin to think that this is the only place they need to get their news. They forget an important fact, though. As true journalists leave the industry, where will these bloggers get their information? Ah, there's the rub. Many bloggers comment on the news of the day, but have no concept of how to obtain this news other than the traditional sources. As these sources dry up, so will the blogs. We need journalists, preferably those with integrity, to continue to seek out the truth and expose the liars. Without journalists, we would never have known what Nixon was up to. Nor would McCarthy have been exposed as the fear-mongering hack that he was. No, it took investigative reporting. (Not TMZ-type reporting, although they have broken their share of stories.) We need journalists.

However, there is another problem that the news industry is facing, and I will use my local paper as an example.

For the longest time, there were two newspapers in the Sacramento region. There was the Sacramento Bee and the Sacramento Union. Eventually, the Union folded, and Sacramento became a one-paper town. That lack of competition was probably one factor in the lack of aggressive reporting by the Bee that would mark their future years. Oh sure, they would break a story from time to time, but in general they just reported fluff. Fast-forward to today. The Bee is in financial trouble. Not only have they laid off people (like many other papers), but they have also taken to using the Associated Press for a huge number of their stories. The size of the paper has shrunk, and most of the items they print have already been seen in numerous other places. The rest of the paper is ads and fanny-kissing pieces dedicated to the mega-churches in the area.

Let me give you two examples of news that has been missed or ignored.

If you have read this blog, you know of the accident that took the life of Janis Del Pozzo. The first reports of that accident - and indeed, the only reports - came on two local television news stations' websites. There was no mention in the Bee, either in their main edition, their local section, or their website. Since the accident, Janis died, and there is still no mention anywhere. Why is this important? It is important, not only because a well-liked local resident lost her life, but it is the second fatality at that intersection in a little more than one year. Why isn't someone investigating? A good local paper would be all over a story like that! But still, there is nary a peep on any website or newspaper.

The second example is the story of a death in my town. In fact, it was a death on my street. In fact, it was a stabbing death in a subdivision where there has never been a crime. A couple of websites noted the death, and one local news site had the information. Since then, an autopsy has been performed, but we have no further news on the incident. The one website said that the person was stabbed. Stabbed. Sounds like murder to me. If the victim has slashed his wrists or slashed his throat, it might be suicide. Stabbed? How many suicides are noted where the victim stabbed himself. Oh sure, maybe if the victim committed hari-kari. But in this case, all media sources are silent. And the Sacramento Bee? Nothing at all. Nothing!

This is the second reason why the newspapers are failing. They have laid off their reporters and are relying on sources like the AP for their news. If that is all they are going to report, why bother to get the newspaper? I can get that from CNN. When I buy the local newspaper, I want in-depth coverage of the local news. I want investigation. I want competence. I don't want a rehashing of what I have seen on television or the internet. Shoot, even the BBC does a better job.

So don't blame society for the downfall of the newspaper. At least not on its own. Blame the newspapers themselves, who have forgotten what made them important. I can just about guarantee that CNN will not be investigating a local death. Why isn't a reporter from the local paper doing so? Because the reporters are either trying their hand at writing books, writing ads, screenwriting, or are flipping burgers at the local McDonalds because they were laid off from the paper.

I'm afraid the Sacramento Bee is one step from the brink. It is so close, that I'm actually considering canceling my subscription and giving them a little push over the edge. Until they start recognizing the need for good local stories, I can just check the internet. Or the AP. Or even listen to what is being discussed at work. I wouldn't know what's happening locally by reading the Bee.

Maybe they will post my blog? Oh wait. They already post blog entries.

Sad.


2 comments:

Angelina Fishy said...

But the newsprint gets all over my hands when I read the paper. Ewww ...

Angelina Fishy said...

I think your Eiffel-cam is broken. It says it's still Wednesday ...