Monday, November 30, 2009

Justly Chastised

Never let it be said that I don't take counsel well. I have been justly chastised by a reader for not posting regularly. Guilty as charged. I can't really say why, but it could be due to my back pain, due to how busy I've been, or due to the lack of reasonable content flowing through what I laughingly call my brain. Still, I should be able to write on one topic or another, or at least rant a bit. Without further ado...a long-missing variety of commentary. (And now for something completely different...)

NBA: I had almost given up hope on rooting for the Kings. After a 17 win season last year, I knew that they had hit rock bottom. Still, I didn't have much confidence that things would change. Can you guess how pleasantly surprised I am by this team? Granted, they are only 8-8 for the young season, but that's nearly half of the win total for ALL of last season! On top of that, they are energetic, feisty, defense-oriented, and fun. How great is that? Now let's get them an arena and we'll be in business.

Television: Someone asked me my opinion of the mini-series "V". I couldn't tell you. I didn't like the original and had no interest in the current. You know, remaking shows isn't always the best idea. For example, AMC recently showed their remake of the series "The Prisoner". Granted, the original could be a bit confusing and the concluding episode was rushed and bizarre. But that was nothing compared to AMC's version. What a load of rubbish! It never established a true storyline and the conclusion was lame. It was as if the writers, director, and producer all got together, smoked some pot, took some Ecstasy, and wrote whatever came into their drug-addled minds. Stick with the original. It's more fun.

However, that is not to say that all new things based on older ones are bad. I present to you ... Doctor Who. The final 3 episodes starring David Tennant as the Doctor are going to be presented starting in mid-December. Some time in 2010 we will see the newest Doctor. When the BBC brought this series back with Christopher Eccleston, they went with what worked: good stories and good characters. Then, they added modern special effects. The result is a very satisfying show. Do you want an episode that will have you on edge until the end? An episode where, after it is complete, you will exhale loudly after realizing that you were holding your breath? Then check the episode "Blink". Very cool.

Finally, on the subject of television...Top Gear. More! I want more of that!! (Apologies to Jeremy Clarkson.) Watch this show, even if you don't love cars. It's so cool.

Well...not finally. I'm currently watching the history of Monty Python: Almost the Truth. If you are a Python fan, give it a watch. But understand that it is long and there is some bad language.

Books: Cara Black writes a good story. If you love Paris, read here Aimee Leduc mysteries. They are fast-moving and take you right into the not-so-nice sections of Paris.

That's about it for now. I'll try to do this more regularly. Mea culpa.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Someone beat me to it. lol
I have to say I was a bit disappointed to basically not have a computer for weeks, come back, and there still wasn't a new blog. I was trying to cut you some slack because of the talk and the back, but I can see I'm going to have to balance the sympathy with the nagging. ;-)

Tami G said...

Yikes...chastised? Sorry..didn't mean to come on that strong. =( Glad to see you up and running..how about that..we got sports, books, TV and Latin? Not a bad showing dear Adam. =D Huraay for you!

Asia said...

It is so fun watching Blink with someone who's never seen it before!! I watched that history of Monty Python! I just love Eric Idle.