Friday, December 04, 2009

The Weather's a Changin'

California weather is bizarre. We have no autumn or spring. We have winter and summer and that's all. Having said that, we have gone from 60 degree plus weather one week down to a predicted sub-freezing night and 45 degree day. That may seem like nothing to those who live in Minnesota, New York, or Alaska, but to me it's incredibly jolting. I don't mind the cold. I don't mind the rain. I don't like the idea of having to hitch a ride to work with my wife because I can't ride my motorcycle in the rain, but that's another matter entirely. Still, I just wish we had four seasons in this state.

I lived in upstate New York for a grand total of 3 months. I arrived in late August of 1982 (don't laugh...I can't help being old) and left in December due to my utter failure to succeed at the university I tried to attend. (I refuse to get into that right now.) But the beauty of seeing the leaves change in waves was remarkable. From the third floor of my residence hall, I could look north and see a line of trees in the midst of a color change. The wave of red, orange, and yellow progressed towards my location each day, until it reached the local trees and moved past us to spread the glory to the rest of the state.

A short time later, most people had left the college to go home for the Thanksgiving break. I was stuck at the college since my home was in California. As I walked along the empty campus, it started to gently snow. I looked about the old buildings mixed with the new classroom halls, and was stunned by the silence and beauty of the snowflakes gently wafting past and coating the earth.

Why do I write this? I don't know. I just recognize that with all of the benefits of living in California (the economy not being one of them), I miss the seasons that I saw for those few months in New York. Sad? Perhaps. More like melancholy. Time for some Jim Croce and a cup of tea.

On another note...happy anniversary to Sam and Tami! Best wishes to you both!!!

3 comments:

Tami G said...

I miss having 4 seasons as well...it is so spectacularly awe-inspiring. I love the snow, as long as I can be inside with a skislope to drink and a raging fire in the fireplace. =) I had no idea you attended college..I would love to hear where and what you majored in. Maybe someday when you are feeling chatty. =D Thanks so much for the anniversary acknowledgement...we had a blast!

Unknown said...

Snow is only pretty when you don't have to drive in it, people. Wax on about seasons all you want, but I'm happy I don't have to scrape ice and snow off my car, or drive the roads with the hopes that enough salt was put down to melt the black ice that could cause a horrific accident because it's impossible to see. I love Cali's three seasons: Spring, Summer, and Fall. Things stay green here year-round. We have flowers blooming in February. No piles of dirty slush sitting around light-poles for months. If I get desperate for snow, I can drive up to Tahoe, play, and come back where it's warm. I've been here six years, and have yet to 'go to the snow'. Snow. Meh.

Asia said...

But we did get snow! Wait...was this written before that day? Man, I'm behind!