Saturday, December 12, 2009

Shopping with the Dry Heaves

Nice title, eh? A bit graphic, but the imagery works. Why? Because I hate shopping for anything in December.

Oh, it isn't the crowds, although those are annoying. People with their credit cards in hand, not learning from past mistakes, and going into debt buying items that will be returned most of the time for something that the person really wants.

It isn't the decorations, although those get on the nerves. If I see one more Satan Claus (oh...did I spell that wrong?) waving at me to encourage me to spend my hard-earned money I'm liable to take a baseball bat and see how far a mannequin can fly.

Actually, the worst part is something that my wife and I experienced yesterday: the incessant, repetitive music. Yes, Rudolph sung in reggae style is different, but the song remains the same. (With apologies to Led Zeppelin for stealing the title.) It isn't just that I don't celebrate Christmas, but what about Jewish folks? Do they like to hear these songs over and over again? And to make bad things worse, these stupid songs end up running through the brain like a scratchy recording of cats being tortured! I have to sing "It's a Small World After All" to get the Christmas song out of my head. Not that I like "Small World", but it's preferable. Rather like being hit with a brick so I don't feel the knife in my back.

Don't these stores realize that I'm more likely to linger and spend money if I don't have to run out screaming with my hands over my ears?

The sad thing is that there's nothing I can do about it. Well, there IS one thing. Can you type "A-M-A-Z-O-N-dot-C-O-M"?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I still remember getting actual applause from people at Wal-mart one X-mas when I unplugged one of those sets of bells that go on x-mas trees and play x-mas carols. You could hear the dang bells everywhere in the store. The wal-mart employees didn't even say anything. They were probably wishing they could have done it.