Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summertime Blues

The United States is currently sweltering under a massive heat wave. This meteorological misery is causing temperatures to feel like it is 115 degrees or more when you add the humidity. Roads are even buckling in some places due to the heat. (To those who don't believe that man can affect the environment adversely, I say "bleah"!)

Here in the Central Valley of California, we have dealt with late rains, relatively mild heat, and a strangely mild summer. What that means to most people is a more comfortable visit to the California State Fair, less sweating, and more drownings in local rivers because people are too stupid to take precautions against cold, fast currents.

What it means for me is that it is still too hot. I hate summer. I hate heat. I hate sweat. And I happen to live with two people who love the sun. I'll be calling the authorities on them soon to have them checked for insanity.

It also means higher utility bills, as I am one of those insane people willing to plop down an extra $50 or so a month to remain comfortable in my "man cave". Let other people fan themselves and perspire. I want air conditioning, and I want it now! Sadly, it also means that I am probably contributing to the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere. (Great! Now I have guilt! - Rex from Toy Story)

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make here. Is it just for the purpose of blogging? Perhaps. But perhaps it is also to point out to all of those "sun worshipers" out there that not everyone likes the heat. It is also to send out an invitation to the following people:

River recreation folks who don't take precautions
People who go out for hours and hours in the sun without sunscreen
People who think that hot weather calls for riding motorcycles in t-shirts and shorts

The Darwin Awards are accepting applications.

2 comments:

Asia said...

Has it been a mild summer? Shoot, I was hoping I was developing a higher tolerance for the heat.

Adam said...

You wish!