Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Why So Vulgar?

I don't get it.  Is there something in the contracts that HBO signs that states the following:

As part of this agreement, HBO will air your program ____________ for 13 weeks.  However, in order to qualify your program to air each week, each half hour must contain a minimum of five (5) "f-bombs", three (3) scatological references, two (2) scenes of sex and/or nudity, and 5 other words deemed to be vulgar according to attachment 1A.

I don't subscribe to HBO, mainly for that reason.  It is just too vulgar for my sensibilities.  And yet, I am a big fan of Aaron Sorkin.  I loved Sports Night, West Wing, and Studio 60.  Thus, when "The Newsroom" came out on DVD, I decided to give it a try.  Bad idea.

The old Sorkin-isms were there, some of which (many of which) have been recycled from his previous series.  But then, this is HBO, and right from the beginning, the bad language flowed out of my television like raw sewage from the Oakland Coliseum locker rooms.

It's funny in a way.  Funny in the idea that in order to be on a cable channel, expletives are required for a truly mature program.  Mature?  None of my friends feel the need to curse at every opportunity.  I can actually manage a whole day at work without hearing one "f-bomb"!  I heard more curse words daily when I was a teen than I do now.  I guess the whole maturity thing is backwards on HBO.

Aaron Sorkin doesn't need to be crude to be successful.  He proved that with his previous series.  Originality is nice, though.  We could use some of that.  But as for "The Newsroom"; it is done in my house.  I don't need the language.  Nor do I need the violence of other shows, such as "The Walking Dead", "Game of Thrones", or "Adventure Time".  (Just kidding on the last one.  I just wanted to see if you were paying attention.)

Seriously, HBO.  Weren't you responsible for "From the Earth to the Moon"?  Good television can be done without blood, guts, and disgusting language.  Fortunately, I have a secret super power.  I can grab the remote, and change the channel.  Better still, I can turn off the television entirely.  Top that power, Iron Man.

2 comments:

Angelina Fishy said...

I, too, was so deeply disappointed by all the profanity in 'The Newsroom'. Given my recent obsession with all things Sorkin, I was so happy there was a new, on-going Sorkin show to watch.
Now I'm sad that this incredibly intelligent, witty man has stooped to using multiple F-bombs in his writing. Profanity is for those who lack the creativity and intelligence to otherwise express themselves. and he DOESN'T. As you said, he has proven time and again that he can do award-winning television without the 'need' for profanity to get his point across.
This is the one time I've ever been tempted to write the creator of a show. What I'd want to say could pretty much be boiled down to this: 'You, sir, should be ashamed. You're better than this, and you know it.'

Asia said...

I was about to defend Adventure Time, so there's my maturity level in a nutshell.