- The Sacramento Kings ended up with the tenth pick in the lottery. I keep reading all of the mock drafts and I have come to an important conclusion: Geoff Petrie never does what people expect him to do. Therefore, I say to all of those who are making up these mock drafts - just leave the Kings guess blank. You're almost guaranteed to be wrong when you try to figure out what they are going to do!
- The coaching interviews go on in Sacramento, and the only thing we know for sure is that everyone is glad that the Maloofs are staying out of it. The recent forays of the owners into the day-to-day aspects of running the team have given us the release of Rick Adelman, the acquisition of Ron Artest, the hiring of Eric Musselman, and the firing of Eric Musselman. Joe...Gavin...you have been great at running the business side of the team (except for your recent PR disasters with the arena). Let Petrie do his job. He's one of the best.
- The Raiders have drafted JaMarcus Russell as their quarterback of the future. Does anyone else see the poor guy suffering hit after hit because the Raiders have no blocking?
- The 49ers have done a great job this offseason. I still have too many doubts about Alex Smith, though.
- Real football (aka soccer) continues in the U.S. in the form of the MLS. Here in Northern California, though, we really don't care. Oh, it isn't because people don't like the sport (although it seems that most don't.) Rather, it's because our San Jose Earthquakes, now known as the Traitors in Houston, don't exist. With the difficulties that seem to be appearing in the quest for a new stadium in San Jose, we may end up burying the idea of a new team forever. Yet there is that nagging rumor that Placer County may be up for building them an arena. Can you just see it? The Roseville Earthquakes? The Lincoln Quakes? The Placer Quakes? The California Earthquakes? (That last one sounds bad, doesn't it?) In any case, I'd still like to have a team to root for.
- Finally...it's official. Clinton Portis needs to have elective surgery to either sew his mouth shut or remove his foot from it. I know this is old news, but it's been driving me nuts. How could anyone, regardless of his education, think that you can do whatever you want on your own property? "Yeah...well, this is my house and I can store nuclear waste here if I want to!" No, Clinton, you can't. You can't commit a felony by staging dog fights. You can't kidnap neighbors. You can't kill someone. What you can do, however, is go on an interview show and prove that you're a complete moron. Oh wait...you already did.
Thursday, May 24, 2007
Well, with so many things going on in the sports world right now, I wanted to throw in some random thoughts (especially since I haven't written about sports in a while!)