Friday, April 19, 2013

Just Another Freakout Friday

Wow.  What a week it has been.  We start on Monday with the bombing of the Boston Marathon, and end the week with a manhunt for the remaining suspect.  I wrote earlier this week about Boston, so I won't rehash it here.  I would just like to add this one thought:  I'm glad that people generally waited to find out who was responsible before accusing this nationality or that religion (except for Fox).  I'm reminded of a quote from West Wing after an assassination attempt on the fictional president:  "It was the act of madmen."

Since it is a Friday, I get to rant on a variety of subjects flopping around in my brain like a fish thrown on the shoreline.

Kings and Maloofs and the NBA:  The NBA says that the decision about the fate of the Kings is so complex that it will take a couple of more weeks of agony for Sacramento fans to hear the results of the votes.  During that time, we have to hear more stupidity from the Maloofs, saying, for example, that they prefer the Seattle offer.  No duh.  But haven't you stuck it to the city of Sacramento often enough wherein you can show some class and shut the heck up?  For once?  Morons.

Still, it has been suggested over and over again that the best solution is expansion.  For what it's worth, I agree with that sentiment.  That way, we keep our Kings, Seattle gets their Sonics, and the owners get richer.  Win, win, win.  But the NBA Board of Governors definitely needs to look at the history of the Kings in Sacramento, the loyalty of the fans through thick and thin, the way the Maloofs have jerked the city around ... and then watch the video of the last game of this season.  Then I dare them to say in good conscience that the Kings belong in Seattle.

Matt Smith and the Doctor:  I know ... I know ... I write about television too much.  But each time I watch Doctor Who, I like Matt Smith more and more.  Granted, in interviews he dresses like a street urchin, but he clearly loves the role, loves the show, and is a great incarnation of the Doctor.  Tennant was great.  Smith may just be better.

Springtime in Sacramento:  Doesn't really exist.  We're going to hit close to 90 degrees next week.  Global warming?  We've been living with it for decades!

The Fiat:  We have been driving the car for about two weeks now.  Is it possible to love the car even more now than when we bought it?  Only problem:  black exterior and interior.  Summer is going to suck.

Favorite Podcasts:  I listen to a few, such as PTI and Around the Horn from ESPN.  My favorite by far, however, is the Tony Kornheiser Show.  Give it a listen.  It's a show about whatever he feels like yodeling about, and the variety of his friends who share the radio with him makes it always fun.  Not dirty.  Not really political.  Just easy to listen to no matter how stressful the day may be.

That's enough for now, I think.  David Stern will be speaking from New York soon about the NBA meetings.  Maybe he'll have some good news.  And maybe Fox will endorse Hillary Clinton for President.

No comments: