Thursday, April 25, 2013

Was the DNA Testing Worth It? (Anyone Home?)

Readers of this blog know that I have been engaged in a search for my biological family.  As an adoptee, I never knew my heritage or family history. 

I subscribed to Ancestry.com and was able to identify my biological mother (who won't respond to letters and wants nothing to do with me), but nothing about my paternal side.  So I decided to take the plunge.  I purchased Ancestry's DNA test, as well as 23andme's test.  What have I found?

Nothing.  Nada.  Zilch.

These tests rely on others having taken the test who are in your family line.  Sadly, that requirement hasn't been met by anyone on the male side.  The closest I have found has been someone who may be a 2nd to 5th cousin.  That's no help at all.

I have posted for help on the two websites, and have received the advice that I purchase a more extensive test on a different website that will further map my genetic makeup.  I'm tempted, but that's more money for a test that may or may not tell me anything.  Where does it end?

Much of this could be resolved if my biological mother would just tell me who my father is, and then I could try to find out more.  Sadly, for one reason or another, she won't.  She won't even respond to tell me why she won't help me, even though I have said that I won't ask for further contact with her.  I can only imagine that my existence brings up very bad memories for her.  I'm not mad at her, but I am hurt.

Still, the quest goes on.  Will I take the other test?  Maybe.  But for those who have shelled out for either the Ancestry or 23andme test, or are thinking of doing so ... be aware that they only go so far.  Unless others in your line are as interested as you are in genetics, you may be spitting into a vial for nothing.

No comments: