Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Spring? It Was Around Here Somewhere...

I have lived in California my entire life.  Southern California for the first decade, and Northern California since then.  As a relatively intelligent person, I hear the news from time to time.  I studied a variety of subjects during my formative years in school.  And yet, there is something I don't understand...

There are four seasons?

When did this happen?  How did I not know about this?

You see, I know about winter.  Not the snowy, blustery kind of winter that some people experience, but the kind of winter that ranges from about 30 degrees to somewhere near 60, and from zero rain to a downpour to zero rain.

I also know about summer.  The kind of summer where thermometers cry out in pain from 110 degree heat, and the northern wind dries the skin to the consistency of the outer layer of an onion.

But what is this springtime I keep hearing about?  What of the mild, breezy days, where the flowers bloom and the trees sprout leaves?  Since when do pine trees have leaves?  What of the gentle rain giving way to a soft wind rustling the hair?  I know not of such things here in Northern California.

I have also heard of something called "fall".  I always assumed that referred to people dropping into unconsciousness due to the heat, but someone told me that in other lands it is where leaves (leaves again?) change color and drop to the ground.  It's also known as "autumn".

What strange terms these are.  What interesting concepts.

Now if you will excuse me, the weather forecast says we should be hitting the high 90s this week.  Time to put the sunshades in the cars and check the old a/c.

No comments: