Monday, June 17, 2013

Legality of Gay Marriage

This week, the Supreme Court is supposed to rule on the legality of California's Prop 8, which basically makes gay marriage in California illegal. 

There are those who say that gay marriage should be illegal, because the Bible states that marriage is between a man and a woman.  That is true.  The Bible does say that.  And although promoters of gay marriage would like to believe otherwise, the Bible also does speak against homosexuality in the so-called New Testament, or Christian Greek Scriptures.

Anyone who knows me knows that I agree with the Scriptural view here.  That's my right and it is what I believe.  I do not, however, agree with those so-called Christians who take to the courts to try to make homosexual relations illegal or who go out and beat up gays in the name of God.  People who do that had better read their Bibles more closely. 

What is being argued in the Supreme Court actually has nothing to do with the Bible.  Amazing to read, right?  I should clarify this point.

Marriage ... according to the Scriptures ... is between a man and a woman.

What is being discussed in the Supreme Court is the civil view of marriage.  Any government has the right to make whatever laws it sees fit for society.  Whether you agree with that or not, it is how things are.  You may say that the Bible speaks against drunkenness, and it does, but where does it give you the legal limit for the definition of drunkenness?  That's something the states decide for themselves, and different states have different definitions.  In a similar vein, a state can decide what defines marriage to them, and what rights and benefits go along with that definition.  It is a civil case being decided, related to things such as insurance, benefits, and divorce (which the Bible also speaks out against, you hypocritical people who thump the Bible and then cheat on your wives).  Whatever the state decides in this case does not make the least bit of difference to my beliefs.  I will live my life according to God's Word, and will not marry a member of my own sex.  Besides, I'm already married!  But others will do what they will.  Some will divorce (against God's Word), but which is legal.  Others will run for political office, which the Bible states is not in line with Christians being separate from the world, but which is legal.  There are many things that are legal, but which servants of God will not take part in doing.  We could go for hours on so-called Christians who fight "legal" wars and kill members of their own faith.

If the state says gay marriage is legal, then gay marriage is legal.  It doesn't make it right in God's eyes, nor does it make it something I will have in my life, but it makes it legal.  That aspect is none of my business.  But on a side note ... will you local news broadcasts please quit showing gay couples kissing every time you talk about this subject?  I mean really... you don't go out of your way to show straight couples kissing every time you mention straight marriage!  Sheesh!


2 comments:

Asia said...

THANK YOU! I can't tell you how many times I have gotten upset hearing even one of our own sounding so HATEful about this subject. I cannot bear to hear that sort of speech. To me, acting disgusted or hateful toward gay people is hypocritical and offensive, considering that most of those same people do not feel as repulsed by heterosexual fornication. My understanding of the Bible puts those on pretty much an equal playing field. Either you are choosing to live by God's standards, or you're not.

As for the kissing, I don't care. It's kind of funny for me to see other people's reactions.

Angelina Fishy said...

I must say thank you as well. It's so great to see a rational, reasoned response to this issue. I feel much the same way. This is a civil (legal) matter. Stop trying to make it anything else.