Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Let HIM Be!!!

It's becoming an epidemic.  So many sites out there crying out for the Doctor to be female this time.  Let it go.  Especially those of you who are so new to the series that you have no idea that there were Doctors before David Tennant! 

There are a few points I would like to make here, and some may have been stated before.  (My blog ... my rules.)

1)  There is no real precedent for a Time Lord to change sex.  We didn't see the Master do it.  We didn't see Romana do it.  The Doctor has never felt his chest after a regeneration and say, "Darn it!  I'm still male!"  Also, after 11 regenerations, wouldn't the odds have already been that he would have been female at least once if it could happen?  He hasn't, and he shouldn't.

2)  Political correctness only goes so far.  No one has said, "Hey!  Why don't we make Superman die and resurrect him as a woman?"  It's okay for a character to remain male or female.  There's nothing wrong with that!  Change just for the sake of change is ridiculous in this case.  The show is successful.  There is no need to cater to a small group of nattering nabobs.

3)  The Doctor "works" as a male.  His personality, his quirks, his ego ... it all works.  In addition, a male Doctor has always worked best with a female companion.  (Sorry Jaime!)  It's part of the charm of the series.

I have stated what I would like to see:  male, around 35, ginger.  Even better, shell out some big bucks for Ewan McGregor if he would do it.  Or ask me!  I'll take the job!  In any case, just leave his gender alone.  I, for one, would be horrified if he regenerated into Judi Dench.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

LOL at the last sentence. And I completely agree. Even if I have only seen the 2005 season through Tennant (actually watching the last episode with Tennant right now. Nooooooo!).

Angelina Fishy said...

I feel the need to point out that when Tennant regenerated into Smith, he checked his hair (thought he was a girl) AND adam's apple. If it was absolutely not possible for him to change sex, why the checking? Just because a Time Lord hasn't ever (to our knowledge) changed sexes isn't reason enough to say never.

That being said, I completely agree with points two and three. I don't think he should be a she. I don't know that I would be able to continue watching, and I like shows with strong female leads. It would be an entirely different show. Not the Who you got me addicted to (darn you).

Also, if they choose Russel Brand, that's it, I'm done. For the life of me, I can't understand why he is famous. No charm, no wit, and just completely unattractive. No thank you.

Adam said...

Yeah, Angie, but you notice he panicked when he thought he had long hair! And he didn't say, "Oh good! I'm finally a woman!"