Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Needing Focus

Have you ever had something that you are supposed to do but have no real set schedule as to when it is supposed to be done? That is a real challenge for me, as I will procrastinate until the cows come home.

The problem is, this is no longer an option for me, at least for the next 26 weeks or so. I am currently completing a writing course, which ends in December, and as of this coming Monday, I am also going to be starting a fast-track paralegal course. Both of these classes are in addition to my spiritual and family responsibilities.

So what is the solution? It's especially tough for someone who has attention issues as I do. So, here is my plan based on what has worked for me recently:

1) Schedule everything. There can be no deviations. If part of an assignment, reading, writing, or studying is scheduled for a particular day, that task must be completed before bedtime.

2) Prioritize. Ideally, I should do this while making my schedules, but at times this might have to be done on the fly.

3) Celebrate the small victories. They are victories, you know. When a large assignment is done on time and my other activities haven't suffered, I need to treat myself somehow, whether it is with a particularly good cup of coffee or a day off.

4) Don't ignore my family and even rely on them. I have a wonderful wife who is a huge help and support. I can't be so proud that I turn down help from her. I also can't focus so much on my tasks that I forget that she is the most important human being in my life. I have good kids, too, who don't demand more than I can give. They need less attention now that they are older, but they still need my time and my praise from time to time.

5) Pray. 'Nuff said.

In the end, the only way I can finish these courses without going insane is to keep my eyes focused on the goals and the reasons for these efforts. If I do that, and I follow my own instructions, I may make it through the next six months with just a minor need for a lobotomy.

1 comment:

Asia said...

This reminds me of the Alice in Wonderland song: "I give my self...very good advice, but I very seldome follow it..."

Just kidding, but I hope you stick to this awesome list better than I did. See: Asia's blog in which she resolved to be super good about not procrastinating.