Tuesday, July 28, 2009

French Bred

I have been asked to write about something a bit more "light-hearted" than the drivel I have been spewing for days. I really couldn't think of anything to write. So, I'm going to do something I've dreaded doing. I'm going to post a few of my anecdotes that I am thinking of including in my ever upcoming book effort. Needless to say the following:

All rights reserved 2009, Adam Himmel. Copyright 2009 Adam Himmel. All legal rights 2009, Adam Himmel. Anyone trying to copy or use this material without the express written consent of Adam Himmel (and not Major League Baseball) will be prosecuted and deemed to have very bad taste.

The working title is "French Bred", and will focus on the differences between French and American culture, seen through the eyes of a very fortunate American who married a fantastic French woman. (That ought to get me out of a few problems, eh?) Starting tomorrow, and being posted intermittently, I will try to grind out some anecdotes for the so-called book. If anyone has ideas, I welcome them, as I tend to get writer's canyon (writer's block isn't big enough for me).

Anyway, I will try to start this tomorrow. The first tale will revolve around my first visit to France, which happened to be my first visit to any other country other than Tijuana, Mexico, and the strange things that happened as I realized that France was not just an offshoot of the United States and actually had its own culture and customs. Strange idea, eh? Allow me to set the stage quickly...

I had been a pen-pal of a young French lady since high school. Years went by, and our lives took different paths. However, after a break of nearly 10 years in writing, she got back in touch with me. Our letter writing recommenced, and after a visit by her to the U.S., I did one of the smartest things I have ever done in my life, and proposed to her. Strangely enough, she said "yes", but had to go back to France to get things organized. About one year later, I traveled to Paris to marry her. The French system of laws required that I reside there for 4 weeks before I could marry this Parisienne, and many interesting things happened in that time span. These stories will start with my arrival in Paris, and take the reader through some of the events that led to my hating France and the French, and then to my loving the country and its people.

Stick with me and please give feedback. For the longest time I have been told that I have the makings of a writer. I never believed it, and never really gave it a try. Maybe this is a way to find out if I do.

Have fun with me, and let's see where this takes us...

Allons-y!!!

3 comments:

Asia said...

"Allons-y!" You just had to go there, didn't you? I can only hope an Alonso reads this post.

Adam said...

I had to, but not just for your benefit. It fits the posting!

Tami G said...

Yeah! I am so excited I can hardly stand it. =) I totally love this kinda stuff...When ya gonna post..huh? When? =D