Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A Question About Vacationing

I would like to state up front that this posting is not intended to be a backhanded slap at anyone. Nor is it intended to be a forehanded slap at anyone. It isn't any kind of slap at all. I merely want to ask a question and follow it up with a suggestion.

Let me start of by saying that I have lived in California all of my life. I lived in southern California for the first 10 years, and have been up north ever since. I have noticed a phenomenon here that I cannot explain. I'm sure that it would make an interesting paper for some psychologist or sociologist trying to make a name for himself or herself. But for me, it is just a question. Here it is. Ready?

What is the deal with Californians fascination with Disneyland?

There. I've said it. I feel better.

Seriously, though, I have noticed that many Californians use their precious vacation time to travel to Anaheim year after year and go to Disneyland for days on end. Some will even drive down for the weekend, for crying out loud. Now, there is nothing wrong with Disneyland per se. It is an amusement park of the first order, and is also a capitalist's dream. I don't believe that there is anyone in the western world, and possibly the eastern world, who has not heard of Disney. Fantastic. But why do people limit themselves to that vacation spot? Frankly, it boggles my mind to think that people have so little imagination that the first and only thing they think of when they think of vacations is to say, "Let's go to Disneyland!"

Yes, the economy is tough. But ask yourself a question: What do our kids learn by vacationing at Disneyland? Yes, they have fun and yes, they know all of the characters and yes, they like the toys and clothes and mouse-ear hats they get when they go down there. But I ask again - what do they learn?

Here's my suggestion. Keep your Disneyland vacations. That's fine. But instead of going every year or several times a year, put away a little extra money and go somewhere that isn't America. Even if you go to Canada, you're learning something. (Heck, even if you go to Washington state, you're seeing some beautiful scenery and meeting some people who don't think exactly the same way that you do!)

If you like driving, pick a direction and figure out how far you can go in the time that you have. If flying is your thing, even better. Go somewhere. Go to another country. Visit another culture. See and understand that not everyone is American. Not everyone hates or loves America. Not everyone does things the same way that Americans do.

If you read my first two chapters of the book that I'm considering writing, you will have gathered that culture shock was a very real occurrence for me. And yet, I learned. I adapted. I gained insight into the people of another culture. Don't smirk, the French may be a part of the "Western World", but they don't do everything the way that we do, and I have to tell you that some of their ways are better. Not all ... but some.

What I'm really trying to say is that Disneyland lets you play. Great. It lets you see people from different lands using digital cameras and eating junk food. Fabulous. But one doesn't gain insight into other lands, or even their own land, by going to the "Magic Kingdom".

Travel. Visit. Experience. Embrace another culture. Don't go expecting it to be another version of your own country, but enjoy the differences and immerse yourself. I guarantee that the experience will be something that you treasure far more than shaking Goofy's hand again and getting Mickey's autograph on your hat. *** Spoiler alert *** It isn't really Goofy or Mickey. They are people in costumes, and they are just signing Goofy or Mickey's name. Sorry to ruin it for you all, but it's true.

One more thing - riding "It's a Small World" doesn't count as visiting other cultures. You lose points if you think that.

3 comments:

Angelina Fishy said...

Space Mountain Rules!!!
Ok, that being said, I went to Disneyland for the first time last year. I'd go again, but not constantly. I don't understand going all the time, either. Every once in a while is fun, but every vacation is too much.

Tami G said...

When are we going to talk about Josy's crepes?

Asia said...

i have been 4 times, but i loved it the most the last time (earlier this year). california adventure is wonderful. but i would much rather travel to distant lands!!