Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Why So Difficult?

I'm having trouble writing anything these days. It isn't because there isn't anything interesting in the news, although the majority seems to be health care, the budget mess, unemployment, and a solved kidnapping. I'm sure that I could come up with something to rant about. Goodness knows that ranting is not only a hobby, but a skill that I possess. And yet, I don't feel like writing.

Perhaps it was the last few blogs and the comments they drew. The cattiness of those few responses really put me off writing. I know it shouldn't bother me, but I hate illogic in responses.

Perhaps it's that I'm dealing with something I really dislike: moving. No, I'm not changing home addresses again. Instead, I had to move from a huge office in a remote section of the plant to a tiny office right on the main drag. The office has a big window in the front looking out onto the main hallway. Needless to say, I keep the shades drawn. With the shades open, people walking by just feel some incredible urge to look at me through the window. I told my boss that if I was going to leave the shades open, I would have to install a vending machine out front that would sell peanuts for a quarter. Then, employees who want to stare can also buy some peanuts to throw into my office. The only risk would be an internal desire to fling poop at them as they do it. No. I'll keep the shades closed.

I'm not only having trouble writing my blog, but I'm having great difficulty convincing myself to sit down each night and work on my book. Maybe it's a fear of failure, or just my ADD kicking in. I don't know. But I just can't get around to working on it. I guess I was hoping for more feedback from readers, even though I did get some very positive feedback from several friends who took the valuable time from their days to give it a look. I would have liked more readers, though, to really convince me if my writing is worth the effort.

Anyway, I'll try to get back to writing the blog as close to daily as I can. As for the book ... who knows?

Anyone got a peanut?

4 comments:

Angelina Fishy said...

So what you're saying is that I'm never going to get to read chapter 3?

Adam said...

Dunno. Haven't decided yet.

Anonymous said...

If you have any poo - fling it now!

Seriously - whether you write the book or not should have nothing to do with other people's opinions. Write it for yourself. Everything else - whatever that may be - will follow.

Asia said...

Wow, a Princess Bride and Madagascar reference so close together!

Write! Write, I say!