Wednesday, May 29, 2013

An App For This, An App For That ... But I Need An App For....

As I look at my iPhone, I notice that I have far too many apps.  I have apps that I have used once or twice, and others that I have never used at all!  (What the..?)  I have games, translation apps, financial apps, apps that play music, apps that try to encourage me to exercise (but fail miserably).  I need to go through and delete some.  I need to delete a lot.  But what apps would really help me on a daily basis?

Laundry For Guys:  I'm a guy.  Which means I stink at doing laundry.  This goes in cold water, this in warm, this is hand wash, that is bleach....  Auuuuughhh!  I need an app that uses my camera to scan my laundry and tell me which clothes go together in the laundry, and what settings to use to wash and dry them.  No more reading tags that have print too small to read without an electron microscope.  I want to hold up my phone to a bunch of clothes laid out on the floor, and then "click".  I would pay real money for that app.  (Fortunately, my wife knows what she's doing!)

Beer For Today:  If you have gone to a BevMo or Total Wine recently, you may have noticed that the sheer number of beers has reached the ridiculous level.  No, I'm not talking about Bud, Bud Light, Coors, Miller, etc.  Those do not count as beers, and anyone trying to add them to that lofty title should be drowned in O'Doul's.  Still, if you look down the aisles and try to figure out which beer to buy, you will, like me, wander the aisles like an Israelite in the desert.  I think it took me 40 minutes (not years) on one trip.  I want an app that will scan the local weather, consider my past purchases, perhaps scan my taste buds, allow me to input the friends who will be joining me (if any), and tell me which beer to buy that day.  Think of the time savings alone!  And if it picks Budweiser, the app designer gets put against the wall and has cans of Pabst thrown at his head.

Restaurant Marriage Saver:  What do you want to eat?  I don't know, why do I have to decide?  I decided last time!  How about here?  No, I don't want that.  (And on...and on....and now it's breakfast time.)  My wife and I go through this whenever we need to pick up lunch or dinner.  How about an app that both people have on their respective phones.  Each person clicks a couple of check boxes as to what's acceptable that day, they bump their phones together, the data is computed, and the app chooses a nearby restaurant that will be acceptable to both.  This can, and should be done immediately.  I need an app designer, stat!  Marriages throughout the U.S. would be saved!

Find a Non-crappy Movie:  Is there anything sadder than scanning through Netflix and realizing that most movies are crap?  The sheer crappitude is enormous!  It's craptastic!  And yet, instead of talking or reading a book or designing an app together, married couples argue, complain, and settle for a film or series that neither really wants to watch.  And if one is actually agreed upon, it turns out to be crap.  Using the Restaurant Marriage Saver app basis, do the same thing for films.  Both people check they type of film or show they might be interested in viewing, bump the phones together, and voila!  Films rated as crappy on sites such as Rotten Tomatoes would be automatically excluded, and they could be limited by age appropriateness as well!  Another marriage saver!

Where are these apps?  If anyone is reading this and designs one of these apps, I want a free copy.

And a cut of the profits.

1 comment:

Asia said...

that beer app is such a good idea...i am designing it in my head right now. it would have made my job at BevMo a lot easier

the restaurant one is pretty good too