Friday, May 03, 2013

Taking Time Away

Don't panic.  (As if you would.)  I'm not giving up the blog again.  Instead, I'm here to give some advice.  Take a day off.  That's right.  Take a day to do what you want to do.

I'm not talking about partying or doing something idiotic.  Rather, I'm saying take a day off work from time to time to accomplish something and nothing.

For example: I took a day off today and resolved to accomplish tasks with half of the day.  I actually took the months of bill and receipt filing off my desk and, miracle of miracles...filed it.  I did my personal study, did some general cleanup, and finished with the sense that I actually accomplished something.  Now, with the remainder of my day, I can goof off with impunity and without guilt.  I earned it.  (Sort of.)

My point is this:  working is important.  By doing our jobs we earn an income to pay for the necessities of life.  But from time to time we need to step back and take a day to accomplish something for ourselves.  So take that day off.  Spend half of it doing something constructive, and the other half doing nothing at all.  We all need it on occasion, and you deserve it, darn it!

No comments: