Monday, May 06, 2013

Books are Not Dead

I admit it.  I own a Kindle.  I also own an iPad.  I use both to read e-books, and they are very convenient for that purpose.

I also admit that I purchase paperback and hardcover books.  For that, I have been picked on by several friends who ask, "Why?  Books are bulky and eBooks are easier."

First of all, be glad we aren't still carrying scrolls around.  Nonetheless, I find a number of benefits to purchasing and owning normal, everyday books.

1)  Electronic books aren't always cheaper.  Now that may seem odd, since there is no paper or printing involved.  Certainly, regular books purchased new in hardcover format are almost never cheaper than eBooks   But if you are purchasing a book that never went through a hardcover printing, or are purchasing a hardcover book that isn't a new release, check the prices online.  Many times the ink versions are cheaper, especially if you have free shipping.

2)  Electronic books aren't always more convenient.  My paper books have never used up their battery life.

3)  You can't go to a bookstore and buy a used eBook   There is a local used book shop nearby that has literally tens of thousands of books.  I can almost always find an interesting book at a reasonable price.  Please note, however, that this is not always the case.  Sometimes used books are cheaper online via Half.com or Amazon.com.  One still has to be a smart shopper.

I do like the immediacy of an eBook   If I find a book online and I want it now (little impatient me), I can buy it and have it download to my reader instantly.  That's convenience for you.  But if I don't need it right now and can find it less expensive in a paperback or used format, why wouldn't I do that?  Frankly, I have some books that I love to see on my shelves, not the least of which is my leather-bound Hitchhiker's Guide series.

There is also something satisfying about reaching the end of a particularly good book and hearing that "thump" as you close the book with a flourish.  OK...not everyone does that, but it is still strangely satisfying.

The eBook may be the future or the present or the convenient.  As a card-carrying geek / nerd, I have my share of them.  But as a curmudgeon, I will never give up my regular paper and ink books until I have no other choice.

Even then, I may go down fighting.

No comments: