Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Football Thoughts -- (Soccer to some)

I just noticed on ESPN.com that the U.S. Women's Football (Soccer) team tied North Korea 2-2. I didn't watch the game because it was on at 2 am PST. I wouldn't watch a game at that hour if it was the U.S. or French men's team going in the World Cup Final! Watching sports can be fun, but sleep is sleep. A couple of weeks ago I read that there is going to be another attempt at a women's professional league in the U.S. That's fine. Just don't expect it to be wildly successful. Football (soccer) is not as popular as the other major U.S. sports, and women's sports are also far less successful than the men's sports. Women's basketball is more popular and more profitable overseas. Maybe that's where a women's league should start.

I'm on a football (soccer) rant now. Let's keep it rolling. I love good football. I hate to tell the MLS, but their brand isn't particularly good. When an aging David Beckham can join the MLS in an injured state and still outplay the others on the field, that tells you the quality of play. That doesn't mean that the MLS should disband. On the contrary. It should go out and get the best players possible. But perhaps a couple of changes would help.

First change: flopping is penalized. Americans constantly complain about players falling down and holding their legs when they aren't even touched. They don't understand that one reason for this is to get a sort of "time out" for their team. It's tough running for 45 minutes straight, so if a player notices his team getting tired, he'll take a fall to give them some water and a breather. This should either be explained to U.S. fans, or there should be a break at 22:30 and turn the game into four quarters like basketball or American football.

Second change: get rid of the ties. Americans hate ties. There are winners and losers. That's all. Thus, every game should have the golden goal period followed by a shootout. It isn't classic football, but it would help the U.S. game.

Third change: increase the exhibition matches. We've had Mexican and British teams come to the U.S. to play MLS teams. Let's get some French, Italian, and other clubs here so that Americans can see the best of the best.

I want the women's league to succeed. I want MLS to succeed. I want Americans to quit whining about how slow football is and instead compare it to a baseball game. You want slow? Watch just a couple of at-bats in baseball. Who needs prescription sleep aids? "OK Mr. Jones. I want you to take two innings of Kansas City Royals vs. Tampa Bay Rays before bedtime and you'll go right to sleep."

I also want San Jose and Raleigh to have teams. Go Quakes!

1 comment:

Asia said...

I don't think I'll ever be able to go to a baseball game again. I am so spoiled. The only time I ever went to a game, I was in a luxery box with free food, hats, magazines, cushioned seats, air conditioning, and a book I brought along. I did miss the few exciting things that happened, but they just couldn't have been worth not reading to kill the time.