Monday, September 24, 2007

When You Can't Think of What To Write...

Wow. I've been doing pretty well in keeping this blog going. Six days out of seven each week isn't bad. But I find that on certain days that I have brain clog. I just can't think of a topic. I suppose I could try some "creative writing - fiction", but I'm doing enough of that for my English class. Frankly, fiction isn't my best genre. It's on days like this that I tend to rant, so why break the mold?

I find that I have given my wife the "gift that keeps on giving". Yes, as sick as I was last week, I decided to share the sickness with my loving spouse. I told her that I should have slept on the couch but no, she wouldn't hear of it. Because of her generosity and love, now she is sniffling and coughing like I was. What's the moral of the story? Wives, if your husband offers to sleep on the couch when he is sick, accept it as an act of love. Frankly, it's also a bit of selfishness on our part because we know that when you're out of action, nothing gets done around the house. Okay, that may sound chauvinistic, but I only say it because I know how lame I am at cleaning and cooking. (Take out food, anyone?)

Rant the second...the San Francisco 49ers are overrated. I think I said something about this last week, but after watching part of the game against the Steelers, I feel justified in my statement. Alex Smith, congrats on being the number one pick a couple of years ago, but you are NOT good enough to be a starter. Sorry.

Rant the third...Thanks to Asia for being, as far as I know, the only reader of this blog. She is the only one who comments, so I have to assume that she is the only one that reads it. I appreciate it, Asia.

Rant the fourth...To all residents of Sacramento, California: Does anyone else think that Cal Expo would be an absolutely horrible place for an NBA arena? Can you say "traffic nightmare"? (I knew you could.)

Final rant...Why do parents give their kids names that they are going to hate or hate dealing with all their lives? For example, they spell names differently for the sake of being different. Let's take an imaginary (I mean it...it's imaginary) example. John and Joan want to name their baby daughter Jane, but instead of spelling it "J-a-n-e" they decide they want to be different and spell it "J-a-i-n-e". As the child grows up, she will have to correct pronunciations and spellings just because the parents wanted to be different. People, please consider things such as this and other things such as sources of teasing. Being unique is fine, we are all unique. But when you clamp a ball and chain of a bizarre or too-different name on your child, you aren't stressing uniqueness. You're saying, "Yes, please, tease my child. It will be good for her." Trust me; it isn't.

3 comments:

Asia said...

On writing: I wonder how much you actually write with pen and paper? Because for me, typing is completely different as I am subconsciously concerned with the form and overall look of the writing in text form, whereas with pen and paper, you can just keep going...there is NO backspace button, and you can always type out a better verion later. Handwriting helps you to get in a groove and really...feel it, for lack of a better phrase.
On Names: You are preaching to the choir. The end.

Adam said...

I do about two-thirds on computer and one-third with pen. It depends where I am when inspiration hits. I like typing at times, because I can get everything down quickly before the "groove" leaves me.

Asia isn't as bad as others. For example, my son had a substitute teacher named...get this...Brady Bunch.

Asia said...

Haaahaa...that's awful...My AP Lit teacher's married name is Duda, and her maiden name was Day...Mrs. Duda-Day? She was a singer, so I suspect she did it on purpose. Also, highschool requires your legal name, and for me, that means teachers mispronouncing Nastasia till the cows come home.