Saturday, September 15, 2007

Grocery Stores

I just got back from doing my weekly grocery shopping.  Yes, I'm a guy and I do the family shopping.  There is something depressing about shopping.  I'm not talking about the prices, although those can get a person and his budget down in a hurry.  I'm talking about selection.

Hear me out.  I realize that American grocery markets carry a wide variety of foods.  I also understand that they can't make everyone happy.  But let's compare, say, Safeway to a much smaller store such as Trader Joe's.  Safeway has a huge variety of items compared to TJ's.  But as I wander through Joe's place, I find things that I want, not just things I need.  I find good prices on things such as French cornichon pickles, cage free eggs, wine, pasta, and other items.  But on top of that, I find items from all over the world.  In comparison, Safeway feels sterile and, well, safe.  Safe is fine, but safe is not always best.  When I walk into a market in France, I can smell the flavor in the air.  The stores are clean, but they don't try to hide the aromas. Here, the smell of...nothing...is in the air.  

Where in the world am I going with this?  I don't know.  I guess I'm just down because I'm tired of seeing the same old boring products every week.  Hey Safeway.  Why not get juuuust a little daring?  How about a nice cassoulet?  Perhaps some true Italian mortadella?  Something?  Oh well, just give me half a pound of the overly processed sliced chicken breast, please.

1 comment:

Asia said...

You know what? This is totally true. So many times, I have gone into Safeway, only to find they do not have the basic item I require. I ran into an elderly sister today at the Safeway in Lincoln, and she couldn't find what she came for either. Y Trader Joes es muchos delicias! I-I don't know why I randomly burst into Spanish right there...